Federation of Artistic Roller Skating
Discipline Based Grades
In addition to the 6 basic grades the club also offers discipline specific grades.
Basic skills - Dance
Grade 7 Dance
- Skate three continuous forward cross rolls to Foxtrot music 104.
- Continuous forward run/ inside cross in front movement in a circle to the left (anti-clockwise) to March music 100
(corner steps of the Skaters March).
- Continuous forward chasses linked with a forward inside edge in a circle to Waltz music 120:
- to the left (anti-
clockwise - corner steps of the Glide Waltz)
- to the right (clockwise - reverse Glide Waltz).
- Skate four forward outside edges with a swing movement to Tango music 100.
Grade 8 Dance
- Skate: lfo edge / rfo xf / lfi xb / rfo with swing movement (long axis steps from Skaters March)
- Continuous forward run movement in a circle to March music 108 (14 step) :
- to the left (anti-clockwise)
- to the
- Using any recognised turn from forwards to backwards, skate four continuous back outside edges to Waltz music 120
(3 beat edges).
- On alternate feet: Perform a forward outside three turn followed by a back outside edge and step forward onto:
- a forward outside edge.
- a forward inside edge
Grade 9 Dance
- Skate three continuous cross behind steps - LFO RFIxb LFOxb RFIxb to Blues music 92 (corner steps of the Rhythm
- Skate a forward outside closed mohawk followed by a back outside edge swing movement:
commencing on the left
- commencing on the right foot.
- Skate four continuous forward inside edges with swing movement to Blues music 92
- 4. Routine to Tango music 100 to include: run(s) swing(s) cross rolls heel to heel mohawk(s) three turn(s) forward &
backward outside edges & forward inside edges.
* Tests in Basic Skills Dance Grades 7, 8 & 9 must be judged by a FARS Judge.
Basic skills - Free
Grade 7 Free
- Perform a back inside spin exercise: from a stationary position, one rotation finishing with a stop.
- Perform a spead movement in both directions for at least 4 meters across the rink with feet spread apart.
- Simple 2 foot jumps;
- turning from forward to backward
- turning from backward to forward.
Grade 8 Free
- Perform a back inside spin from a three turn preparation (2 controlled rotations).
- Continuous back pulls in a circle:
- Perform a simple step sequence to cover a minmum of 6 meters.
Grade 9 Free
- Perform a backward arabesque on alternated feet - free leg hip high.
- Perform a three jump, taking off and landing on the correct edges.
- A simple one minute free programme to music, to include the following elements:
- bi spin (2 revs)
- step sequence
- arabesques: forwards & backwards
- three jump.
*Tests in Basic Skills Free Grades 7, 8 & 9 must be judged by a FARS Judge
Basic skills - Figures
Grade 7 Figures
- Forward outside edges in field: From a rolling start - 2 half circles RFO & LFO: 1 complete circle RFO: 2 half circles
LFO & RFO: 1 complete circle LFO. Circles to be minimum 3 meters diameter.
- Forward inside edges in field: From a rolling start - 2 half circles RFI & LFI: 1 complete circle RFI: 2 half circles LFI
& RFI: 1 complete circle LFI. Circles to be minimum 3 meters diameter.
- Forward outside three turns in field on alternate feet, each edge to run for a minimum of 2 meters.
Grade 8 Figures
- Back outside edges in field: From a rolling start turn to backwards: 2 half circles RBO & LBO: 1 complete circle RBO:
2 half circles LBO & RBO: 1 complete circle LBO. Circles to be minimum 3 meters diameter.
- Forward inside three turns in field on alternate feet, each edge to run for a minimum of 2 meters.
- Forward change of edge: From a rolling start skate 4 half circles in field: RFO change RFI / LFI change LFO.
Circles to be minimum 3 meters diameter.
Grade 9 Figures
- Perform a right back outside take off around a circular tracing and balance for a minimum of 5 seconds, showing an
understanding of the free leg, hip & shoulder positions. Minimum 4 meter diameter tracing.
- Perform a backward change of edge in field, demonstrating an understanding of the edges skated.
- Skate 2 half circles on a tracing: a] : RFO - LFO b] : RFI - LFI . Minimum 4 meter diameter tracing
*Tests in Basic Skills Figure Grades 7, 8 & 9 must be judged by a FARS Judge
Federation of Artistic Roller Skating advanced tests
Any skaters who are successful in completing the basic skills grades can go on to complete the Fars advanced test schedule.
Clicking on the following link will redirect you to the Fars web site
containing information on the schedule.